Laser Hair Removal
How it works
- The laser uses a specific wavelength of light which targets the pigment (colour) element of the hair.
- The hair absorbs the light energy at the level of the follicle deep in the skin.
- Once absorbed it is converted to heat and this heat destroys the components of the hair which are necessary for growth i.e the bulb, bulge and vascular supply.
- The body eliminates the dead hair by pushing it up and out of the hair follicle in the weeks to follow.
- It is important that the hair is in the “active” growing phase at the time of each treatment for successful hair reduction.
How To Benefit Effectively From Your Laser Treatment
Book an Appointment >
- Avoid the sun for 4-6 weeks before treatment
- TANNED SKIN CANNOT BE TREATED
- Avoid bleaching, plucking or waxing hairs for 6 weeks prior to treatment
- Discontinue the use of tanning products 2 weeks prior to treatment
- Shave the evening before or on the morning of your treatment
- Get as clean a shave as you can as this will reduce any discomfort during the laser treatment
- Ensure that the area is kept cool and that any heat treatment such hot baths, showers, saunas or steam rooms are avoided for at least 24 hours after treatment or as long as any redness is present
- Iced water or aloe vera may be applied at home if there is any redness or discomfort after treatment
- Avoid sun exposure after treatment and in between treatment to avoid pigmentation problems
- The skin will also be more photosensitive after laser treatment the use of an SPF 30+ is essential throughout the course of treatment
- Do not pick or scratch the skin after treatment
- Do not wax or pluck hairs in between treatments. Shaving is fine.
- New cycle hair regrowth will not occur until about 3 weeks after treatment so ensure that sufficient time has been left between treatments
- 4 weeks for facial retreatment and 6 weeks for the body
- If there are any side effects which are not usual i.e. burning, blistering etc, ensure that you contact your clinic or G.P immediately